Do’s & Don’ts of Social Media Marketing & Management (Part I)

Connect with Users through Social Media Marketing

Social media is here to stay. We have known this for a long time, but we cannot emphasize enough the importance of social engagement on sites like Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Google+. Regardless of whether your business is only three dudes in a basement or owns corporate jets, you need to use proper social media marketing techniques to keep your audience happy. A happy audience translates into customers. If you can turn happy audience members into happy customers, then you have real potential for spokespeople who will scream the virtue of your products and services from the summit of their social media account. When you engage, encourage, and communicate effectively with social media, you increase your brand awareness. When you do these things ineffectively, your social media marketing campaign suffers, and you will lose potential customers.

Where to Start?

If you haven’t registered your business on any social media sites, then you can start there. Facebook and Twitter allow you to interact with the most diverse swath of the population. Here, you can implement digital marketing strategies to engage with people and understand your audience. Don’t stretch yourself too thin, however. Start off small, then work your way up to more social media platforms and more engagement. It’s better to understand the unstated laws that govern these sites than risk saying something out of place. It’s also better to not spread your resources thin over too many sites.

A Few Social Media Marketing Do’s

Every social media site comes with its own rules and norms, and you will need to take the time to understand the different modes of communication on each site. Having said that, JumpSIX Marketing has discovered a few consistent strategies that work across platforms. We have also seen a few social media marketing blunders that all businesses should avoid. Let’s start with the things you can do to improve your presence.

Follow the 80/20 Rule

You want to talk about your business, right? You joined Facebook or Twitter or Pinterest to promote your business and talk about yourself, but here’s the thing. Social media gives everyone access to nearly unlimited information and businesses, and if you don’t give them something they want, they will not pay attention to you for long. At JumpSIX Marketing, we aim for a balance between promoting brand awareness and engaging audience members on their own term. Think about producing 80% of your content with the aim of educating or entertaining your followers. Focus the remaining 20% (or less!) of your content on sharing details of your products and services.

Reply to Comments

Think of each of your followers as a person with whom you want to have a long and lasting relationship. If a friend told you something that you did to upset them, you wouldn’t ignore their comments. Think of your audience members in the same way. When they write a positive review, thank them. If they criticize your business, take the criticism in stride. Ask them how the experience could have gone better from their perspective. Think of this as free, valuable information that will help you improve your business.

Maintain Your Personality & Voice

People follow businesses to discover products and learn about them, yes, but also to find some entertainment and feel a connection to your brand. Your followers already get automated responses when they talk to customer service departments, and spam emails already fill their inboxes. If you don’t add to that automation by simply injecting your company’s personality and individuality into your posts, you will entice followers.

Post Regularly

When it comes to social media marketing, you need to do more than just exist. You can’t take a search engine optimization approach because people do not yet search social media sites to purchase products and services. They, instead, scroll through Facebook and Twitter for entertainment, creative inspiration, and communal connection. You need to bridge the gap, and you can do that by regularly posting fun, engaging content.

Social Media Marketing at JumpSIX Marketing

Check back with us for part II of our blog series when we talk about the don’ts of social media marketing. Managing social media takes time and comes with growing pains. If you prefer to focus on other aspects of your business without neglecting your online presence, you can leave the social media marketing to a digital marketing firm with experience. We can help guide you on your path to a strong social media campaign. Contact JumpSIX Marketing today for more information.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *