Search Engine Optimization or SEO is all about creating pages that are search engine-friendly and Googlebot approved. But what happens when web design gets in the way of web crawlers fully accessing your site? Infinite scroll websites are great for certain kinds of businesses and even better for users, but it’s important to understand what infinite scroll is and how it affects your SEO.
Web Design 101: Infinite Scroll Defined
Infinite scroll websites are sites that allow users to scroll down a page while continually loading new content. This eliminates the need to click away to other pages on a website to get more information. Twitter is a great example of this web design technique. While the idea of never having to click away to get to another page is intriguing and attractive to website users, web crawlers may not agree.
How does infinite scroll affect SEO?
As much as you might think an infinite scroll website would affect your load speed and in turn, decrease your SEO ranking, it actually doesn’t. So if your page load speed is already good, you don’t need to worry about infinite scroll slowing everything down.
The Google Webmaster Central Blog suggests making sure your content management system produces paginated component pages to accompany your infinite scroll design. By paginating your website’s content, you are making sure search engines can access all of the items on your website. Just make sure to adhere to the following tips to ensure your SEO doesn’t suffer:
- Make sure to divide up your website’s content into reasonable chunks without any overlap of content. If there is overlap, Google will flag that as duplicate content and ding your SEO score.
- Make sure each separate component page has a full and unique URL but avoid time and code-based language in your URLs.
- Add the following code to your header so that search engines can index your page’s content: rel=”next” and rel=”prev”.
- Use PushState on the infinite scroll page so browsers know what content to load on each page.
- Optimize each page of content as you normally would with keyword integration for optimal SEO scoring.
If a lot of the above was plain gibberish to you, don’t worry. That’s what we’re here for. JumpSIX Marketing is a highly successful digital marketing company based in Springfield, MO and we specialize in a number of digital marketing services, including SEO. Let us help you optimize your infinite scroll website today! Just fill out our contact form and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can.