What is Search Engine Marketing?
In order to understand how to optimize Search Engine Marketing (SEM), we have to first understand what SEM is. The definition of SEM has changed over the years. In the past, SEM was used as a comprehensive term which included all aspects for SEO, paid research and advertising. Today, Search Engine Marketing just refers to search response paid ads that deliver immediate traffic to your website, such as Cost per Click (CPC) and Pay Per Click (PPC) listings.
What is PPC?
Pay Per Click refers to a fee that is paid when a user clicks on your advertisement. You will not get charged when someone is just viewing your ad.
What is CPC?
Cost Per Click refers to to the amount spent on each click generated from your Pay Per Click. For example, for every click you pay $10.
How to Optimize Search Engine Marketing
A small part of optimizing search engine marketing is to learn how to win the Ad Auction. There are a couple of factors that will determine whether or not you will succeed. The first factor is how much you’re willing to pay for a click (maximum bid). The other factor is your “ad rank.” Essentially, this is determined by how relevant and useful your site is to the specific search being used. This is often referred to as quality score. Getting a desired ad placement within the auction would include:
- Keyword Research: It’s important to dedicate time to extensive keyword research. Try to find keywords that are relevant to your chosen page’s content, not too broad and that bring in a significant amount of local traffic. It is also important to look for synonyms or very closely related keyword to the keywords you are targeting.
- Negative keywords: In order to improve conversion rates, your quality score and save money, make sure to use negative keywords. This will help ensure that your ad does not pop up in searches that are unrelated to your business. For example, if you do not perform emergency services, put the keyword “emergency” on your negative keyword list to avoid the ad exposure.
- Landing Pages: Make sure to direct each ad to the most relevant lading page on your website for the desired keyword and ad combination
- Competitors: Look at what your competitors are doing in relation to keywords. See what they are ranking for and determine if they are relevant to you, or even a smart investment to add to your campaign. Additionally, you could design an ad that is more appealing than theirs.
- SEO: Work with a Search Engine Optimization team for added keyword integration and website relevance.
- Get Help: Don’t try to do Search Engine Marketing alone! SEM is a complicated and ever-changing process. Seek help from professionals, such as JumpSIX Marketing. We specialize in optimizing SEM campaigns through optimizations and will make sure that your advertising is always up to date on the latest strategies for success.
Benefits of SEM
- Business: Search Engine Marketing will help your business become more well-known. It will bring in more traffic and introduce your company’s brand to more people. Businesses are able to place their ads right in front of prospects specifically searching for their services or products. These impressions are accepted to be the most qualified to convert for this very reason.
- Measurable: SEM is measurable and controllable. You can see exactly how your money is bringing business and sales. For example, let’s say you spend $10 every single time someone clicks on your ad. However, you have received $200 dollars worth of sales from one click. So, although you spent $10, you gained $190. With these numbers, you will be able to calculate the usefulness of SEM and the benefits in investing in PPC. Additionally, though the process of measured optimizations, you will have the ability to target more aggressively the users who are purchasing from you.
- Competitive: Many of your competitors will also be using SEM. By investing in Search Engine Marketing, you will be able to keep up with, stay on top of, and beat out your competitors.
Search Engine Marketing with JumpSIX
At JumpSIX Marketing, we offer Search Engine Marketing services as well as many other digital marketing services that can help improve your business. Contact us today with any questions about SEM and we will be more than happy to help you out. We also provide free Google AdWords audits to help you assess any current SEM advertising for strengths, weaknesses, or missed opportunities.